MHA Camp Staff
STAFF APPLICATION 2014-CLICK HERE!
Opportunities to serve the Boy Scouts of America by being employed as a staff
member for Maine High Adventure are available to qualified and motivated people.
Each position is challenging and involves considerable responsibility. The experience
can provide opportunities for personal growth and rewarding human interaction.
MHA EMPLOYMENT GUIDELINES:
* The minimum age for MHA employment is 18 for most positions.*
* Each staff member must be registered with the BSA or agree to become registered.
* Each staff member is expected to practice the principles of the Scout Oath and Law while employed
* Each staff member is expected to set an example of excellence in Scouting which includes the wearing
of the MHA/BSA uniform.
* Summer employment is offered from approximately June 1 until August 22.
* Salary is based on position responsibility and applicant qualification.
* References are important! Have a member of your local council professional staff write a letter of
recommendation on your behalf, or use the MHA reference form.
* Review the brief job descriptions below.
* Mail your applications early!
* Contact MHA via phone or email for application packet, or download below.
* Keep MHA informed of address or circumstance changes during the application and employment process.
* Mail your completed application to the address below.
* There may be openings for one or two staff members 16-17 years old.
SUMMER POSITIONS AVAILABLE
* Base Director*: Has total responsibility for successful base operation including providing leadership
to staff of 25 to 30.
* Base Operations Manager*: Supervises base staff and program support operations: staff feeding,
commissary, trading post, transportation, and maintenance.
* Chief Guide* (Trail Staff Supervisor): Supervises trail staff and program related logistics. Responsible
for training, evaluation, and directing trail staff, and planning trip itineraries.
* Outfitter: Manages trail equipment and trail food aspect of program. Oversees issue, return, and repair
of trail equipment. Also manages trading post (store).
* Cook: Responsible for staff feeding and kitchen related aspect of program. Manages menu, budget,
and health/sanitation requirements.
* Guide (Trail staff): Accompanies crews on trail. Responsible for crew orientation, skill instruction, and
environmental/historical interpretation. Lead safety person on treks.
* Driver: Transports crews and staff by power boat and 15 passenger van with canoe trailer. Also responsible
for vehicle, equipment, and facility maintenance.
* Assistant Outfitter: Assists and serves as back up for Commissary Supervisor.
* Assistant Cook: Assists and serves as back up to Cook.
* Operations Specialist: Rotates jobs to back up other positions around base.
*These positions are usually filed by returning staff members
ALL STAFF ARE SUBJECT TO DUTIES OUTSIDE THEIR PRIMARY JOB DESCRIPTION AS NEEDED. ALL STAFF ARE ALSO RESPONSIBLE FOR SHARING BASE AND PROGRAM MAINTENANCE TASKS. ALL POSITIONS REQUIRE SOME FORM OF RECORD KEEPING OR DOCUMENTATION.
Compensation varies with position responsibility. In addition to a competitive weekly salary, employees receive room and board, various staff uniform items, and one day off per week.
JOIN THE MAINE HIGH ADVENTURE TEAM!